Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search Of.


     While watching the “Ted” video, I learned that Facebook actually takes all of your information as well as what links you click on and filters what is on your news feed. Google also does the same thing with what you search. This information makes me curious about what I am missing out on thanks to these "filter bubbles". I'm also a little bit worried about what or who is using my information and to what extent. It makes me actually want to know more about what the "gatekeepers" are keeping me from seeing. It made me wonder: At some point, are all websites going to be using filter bubbles? How will the Internet change as a result? How will it affect the average web surfer? I think that in order to improve the effectiveness of your search, you should be very specific in what you search and you should "filter" each site yourself. When I redid my Shakespeare search, I looked more carefully at the sites that came up. I made sure I recognized the site as a legitimate source of information, and not just some stranger’s blog about their opinions on Shakespeare. I went to more than just the first page of links that each search engine (Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Ask) provided me.

No comments:

Post a Comment