Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Performative Utterances and "Self-Overhearing"


            Whether it’s used in writing, or appears in your own life, performative utterances have a huge impact on the character or person experiencing them, as well as surrounding people and character, and following events. In William Shakespeare’s Hamlet, young Hamlet finds himself out through his utterances, affecting the way he acts. I also have had revelations, and changed my thought process, as a result of “self-overhearing”, causing me to change my expectations and, as a result, my actions. Performative utterances affect those around the person or character making them, changing the way they act and following events. Performative utterances and “self-overhearing” both create a sense of memory, expectations, and real-world results.
            Throughout William Shakespeare’s play Hamlet, young Prince Hamlet was conflicted, which had an affect on the plot and other characters. His apparent inability to make up his mind was actually his inability to put his thoughts into actions. His inactions and utterances drove Ophelia to madness and allowed others to believe he lacked sanity. However, Hamlet knew his duty was to kill Claudius for murdering his father, but struggled in following through with it. “Now might I do it pat, now he is praying;
And now I'll do't. And so he goes to heaven;
And so am I revenged. That would be scann'd:
A villain kills my father; and for that,
I, his sole son, do this same villain send
To heaven.” It wasn’t until he talked to himself about it, and saw Laertes’ passion for vengeance that Hamlet himself realized why he had been so inactive in pursuing his duty. In hearing himself talk about his inactivity, Hamlet realized the impact it had, and forced him to change his way of thinking and therefore his way of doing. “I do not know
Why yet I live to say 'This thing's to do;'
Sith I have cause and will and strength and means
To do't.” Hamlet realized, as he overheard himself talking, that he was more than capable of his duty. This change in thought turned Hamlet into an unflappable force, full of vengeance that would stop at nothing to fulfill his duty. Hamlet’s performative utterances forced him into action because they made him realize his dormancy.
            “Self-overhearing” has had a huge impact on my life, as it did on Hamlet. In any discussion I participate in, or even when talking to myself, I pay attention to what I say and reflect on it afterward. When involved in a heated debate, I sometimes get too competitive and defensive. I say what I want, in the wrong way. When I overhear my tone and the wrong words, I stop and think about how to better form my argument. Sometimes, when I am trying to figure things out for myself verbally, I have a revelation. For example, I was really struggling with my roping and my confidence level while riding. On the way home from the ranch one day, I reviewed everything that had happened in my head, wondering why I reacted the way I did. While I discussed it with the steering wheel, I realized the simple mistakes I had made. I realized that I was a good rider and that I had no reason to be down on myself. I swore to myself I would focus on my skill more than my fears, and the next day was a success. Like Hamlet, when I “self-overhear”, I change the way I think and therefore change my actions change as well.
            In Hamlet, and in real life, “self-overhearing” results in a change of thought and a change in action. Hamlet, after many performative utterances, realizes what he must do and that he is able to do it. Although it didn’t turn out well for anyone, Hamlet’s revelations forced him to fulfill his duty. In real life, my thoughts also influence my actions. When I talk something out with myself or someone else, I realize what I need to do, and I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment